Ever stuck wondering what easy treat you can make for Spring? These simple Easter cookies are bursting with flavour, a perfect fruity contrast to the abundance of chocolate we get at this time of year. They can be dressed up with icing, or kept simple! I invite you to do this with family, if you live with them (obviously don’t go out to meet them!). The decorating part can be really fun, especially when you involve sprinkles, chocolate and piping bags! In this recipe I didn’t include a photo of my final result because a) they were super messy and b) you need to use your own imagination! Additionally, I have no Easter-shaped cookie cutters. Though I could have made one, I wasn’t really thinking straight at the time so I did butterflies instead.
- 115g margarine or unsalted butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- Grated rind of a lemon or orange (we had no lemons, but orange worked just fine!)
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 30g cornflour (if you don’t have this, extra flour will be okay too)
- Cream the margarine until soft, then add in the sugar until light and fluffy. Once mixed, add in the egg and rind and stir gently until combined.
- Sift the flour and cornflour into the creamed mixture. Form the mixture into a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth.
- Using cling film, wrap up the dough into a mass and chill for half an hour. Be aware that any longer will cause the dough to break apart.
- On a well-dusted surface, roll the dough out to a 1/2 centimetre thickness.
- Using the cookie cutters of your choice, cut out the shapes you desire. Continue until all the dough has been used.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Lift cut-outs on to lined baking trays. You will not need too much space between them, as they do not spread in the oven. See images below:
- Then bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. The shorter length of time they have baking, the softer they will be.
- Allow to cool on the baking tray or a wire rack if you have one.
- Once fully cooled, decorate them to your preference!