Here’s another baking post for you. Today I’ll be sharing my no-longer secret oaty cookie recipe. They’re really easy to make (similar procedure to flapjack but with a few more ingredients) and taste amazing! An extra five minutes in oven makes them lovely and crisp, whereas ‘under’ baking them gives a lovely doughy texture. They’re not too unhealthy so I would really recommend them as an alternative to the packaged chocolate bars (it reduces your plastic waste as well). On to the recipe:
- 75g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g porridge oats
- 50g caster sugar
- 75g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- Sift flour into a bowl. Mix in baking powder, porridge oats and sugar. You could also use self-raising flour if that’s what you already have at home (saving you a trip to the shops!)
- Melt the butter, syrup and milk in a small saucepan or in the microwave and stir. It should look like this:
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined. It should look similar to flapjack mixture!
- Now preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. If you do this now then your oven will have heated enough before you have to put them in. Doing it right at the start (as most recipes recommend) is a waste of energy! It saves you money in the long-run too.
- Spoon onto a lined baking tray and shape into rounds, leaving space between each biscuit as they will spread whilst cooking. The recipe makes roughly 15 medium sized cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray. They taste really amazing when they are straight from the oven – and even better with a cup of tea!
Thank you for reading today’s post! If you do try out this recipe (it’s super easy, you don’t need to be skilled in order to do it) then I would love to see your recreations! Send me photos through Instagram or email me.
What are your favourite cookies? Rich chocolate or light vanilla?
Stay tuned for my takeover on Neve Franks’s Positivity Blog tomorrow! Over on Instagram I will be doing the stories for the day and sharing my message of positivity. Go and give it a follow!